mind the gap

3 men

June 02, 2007

i am so glad and very
merely my fourth will cure
the laziest self of weary
the hugest sea of shore

so far your nearness reaches
a lucky fifth of you
turns people into eachs
and cowards into grow

our can'ts were born to happen
our mosts have died in more
our twentieth will open
wide a wide open door

we are so both and oneful
night cannot be so sky
sky cannot be so sunful
i am through you so i



A small tribute, to a lovely woman and dedicated teacher for whom I will always be grateful.


I got a message from tiff telling me that our beloved Cai lao shi or cai as we affectionately called her has passed away. I felt shocked and so sad that it has happened. I knew for a time that she was unwell and i met her in dunedin when she was visiting ben and jessica. she spoke to me in chinese :) she never would let me get away with not practicing. I remember her so well despairing over my undone xi zhi and calling alex down from her p4 classroom to dig out wads of piled up homework stuffed under my desk. I remember her smiling and patting me on the back every chinese new year when we'd go give her oranges in the staff room. She is one of my best memories of studying chinese in mg and without a doubt my favourite chinese lao, and that's how i'm going to remember her. Part of me smiles because the message was from one mg girl to another, and said to pass the message on to all mg girls. I love that we were part of that family, and still are, and i love that Cai was a big part of my mg experience.

Ben and Jo, i doubt you will read this here but i just want to say that i am so sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you everyday. I will see you hopefully in july.

bye cai :( I will miss you so much.

3 | men

mind the gap